How can we help?
Learn everything about VoIP with our VoIP FAQ
What is an IP phone?
An IP phone is a tool that transmits voice using VoIP technology. It can take two different forms.
- Hardware: a physical telephone that looks just like a traditional telephone and is connected to the IP network.
- Software: also called a “softphone”, this makes it possible to use IP telephony through a cloud service. There is no physical phone—all actions are performed in the computer interface and with a microphone-equipped headset.
What’s the difference between traditional telephony and IP telephony?
Traditional telephony uses the public switched telephone network. Voice is transmitted as analog electrical signals via copper wires.
IP telephony uses VoIP technology and doesn't have the constraints of the physical telephone network. Voice is transmitted as digital data over IP networks.
Read more about VOIP
- How VoIP Works, and Why it’s Better for Your Business
The science behind VoIP is complex, but we at Aircall want to help you gain a better understanding of how it works, and why it makes sense to use VoIP technology for your business phone.
- Softphone Solutions for Businesses: Types and Advantages
Softphones eliminate the need for physical desk phones or an office setting. Cloud-based softphone solutions provide productivity and cost-saving benefits.
- What Every Business Should Understand About VoIP Security
We answer some of the biggest security risks involved in using VoIP technology and find out what you can do to protect your business from attack.